Dr. Messina is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and is fellowship trained in sports medicine and adult reconstructive surgery. He specializes in arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the knee and shoulder as well as total joint replacement of the knee and shoulder. He has been in private practice in Wilmington since 1997.
Dr. Messina takes great pride in helping athletes and active people of all ages return to their pre-injury level of activity. He has extensive experience in treating athletes at all levels, from weekend warriors to the collegiate and professional levels. He has served as a team physician for several southeastern North Carolina high school teams.
Dr. Messina and his wife Zoe have 4 children. He enjoys traveling, music, and many outdoor activities such as golf, hiking, running, and tennis.
· B.S., Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
· MD, University of Florida College of Medicine
· University of Florida College of Medicine
· Sports Medicine and Adult Reconstructive Surgery, University of Texas San Antonio
· American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
· American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
· American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
· New Hanover/Pender County Medical Society
· North Carolina Medical Society
· Southern Orthopedic Association
Our patient satisfaction surveys help us identify areas of improvement to work toward providing you with the best healthcare in the area. Patient satisfaction, along with increasing the quality of care delivered and reducing healthcare costs, are the three organizational objectives we focus on each and every day.
Provider Specific Scores
6. How would you rate how well this provider communicates? (easy to understand, listens carefully to you, shows respect for what you had to say, sensitivity, friendliness)4.73 out of 5
7. Using a number from 1 to 5, where 5 is the best provider possible and 1 is the worst provider possible, what number would you use to rate this provider?4.84 out of 5
How does Douglas F. Messina compare?
|1. How would you rate getting an appointment as soon as you needed?||4.63|
|2. When you contact the office, how would you rate getting the help or advice you need?||4.64|
|3. How would you rate the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff?||4.73|
|4. How would you rate the comfort and cleanliness of the waiting area? (How neat, comfortable, pleasant was the waiting room)||4.72|
|5. Wait time includes the time you spend in the waiting area and the exam room before you see your provider. How would you rate the amount of time that you had to wait to see the provider?||4.36|
|6. How would you rate how well this provider communicates? (easy to understand, listens carefully to you, shows respect for what you had to say, sensitivity, friendliness)||4.73|
|7. Using a number from 1 to 5, where 5 is the best provider possible and 1 is the worst provider possible, what number would you use to rate this provider?||4.84|
|8. When this provider orders a blood test, x-ray, or other test for you, how would you rate how well this provider’s office follows up to give you those results?||4.70|
|9. How would you rate how easy it is to get appointments with specialists?||4.34|
|10. Considering all aspects of the office, would you say that you are: completely satisfied, very satisfied, somewhat satisfied, somewhat dissatisfied, or very dissatisfied?||4.66|